It’s the 21st of July today which is Belgiums National Holiday! Hooray!
I’ve been thinking long and hard about what to make because I don’t want to make the same things year after year. I’ve made a Belgian Flag Cake and some Brussels Waffles before. This year won’t necessarilly be about the colours of our flag or a famous Belgian dessert. This year’s National Holiday recipe will be about the Crown. That’s right. Belgium still has a king and a queen. They don’t have that much power anymore but I actually like the fact that we still have a royal family. It’s charming.
So to celebrate the 21st of July and therefore also our royal family: Oreo Crown Pavlova with strawberries.
What we need:
- 4 egg whites
- 190 g caster Sugar
- 1,5 tsp cornflower (maizena)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 roll of crumbled oreos = +- 70 g (I like to use a small food processor to get the best result. The Braun Multiquick 9 works perfectly but you can use any type of brand/machine you like)
- 250 ml heavy cream
- 2 sticks of PureVia (same as canderel of any other sweetener)
- Ice cream scoop
- Baking sheet lined with parshment paper
- Preheat the oven at 135°C
- Add the cornflower to the sugar and blend well
- Put the egg whites and vinegar in the mixer and whip on medium low speed
- Once bubbles are starting to form, go to a high speed
- Let it whip until the merengue becomes quite white and foamy
- Add the sugar to the merengue 1 spoon at a time whilst whipping (this to prevent the air from dissapearing)
- Keep it going until all the sugar is dissolved (you can check this by rubbing a tiny bit between your fingers. No grains? Perfect!)
- Take some merengue (just a tiny tiny bit) and make some dots on the baking sheet. Put the parshment paper on top and flatten it down. This will make it stick.
- Toss the Oreo crumbs in the mixer but don’t mix.
- Take your ice cream scoop and just start scooping merengue and Oreo and transfer them to the baking sheet
- Make a small dip in the pavlovas to fill with cream later on
- Bake for about 1 hour
- Let them cool completely
- Put the PureVia and cream in a bowling and whip it to a smooth whipped cream
- Top every merengue with cream
- Cut the strawberries in 8 and put them on top of the cream. Take apart so it looks like a little crown
- Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs
- Share and enjoy!
I hope you guys like these mini Oreo Crown Pavlovas for the 21st of July 😊
Have a delicious day ❤