When I was a kid, there was always one pie which appeared at every birthday party: Rice Pie. Why? It is my grandpa’s abolute favorite pie. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him eating anything else at our family birthday parties. So when Dr.Oetker challenged me to make a dessert which reminds me at my grandparents, the choice was easily made 🙂
I don’t know if the fact that I’ll be bringing this one to my grandpa has anything to do with it, but I’m actually pretty nervous about the outcome of my Rice Pie. Will it be Rice Pie worthy? Let’s find out!
What we need:
- 125 g flour
- 62,5 g soft butter
- 45 g powder sugar
- 15 g almond powder or a few drops of almond aroma
- 1 egg
- a pinch of salt
- 500 ml milk
- 75 g dessert rice
- 75 g sugar
- 2 bags of vanilla sugar
- 1 egg
- Pastry cream from Dr.Oetker
- 400 ml milk
- Beat the soft butter in your mixer. Make sure to use the ‘K’ mixer.
- Add the powder sugar and blend well.
- Add the egg and mix it all together.
- Time for the almond powder or aroma.
- Add the flour to the dough. (!): add the flour bit by bit so it can take its time to get combined.
- Add salt.
- Take the dough out of the mixer and roll it into a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and set for about half an hour in the fridge.
- Take a saucepan and add milk, sugar, vanilla sugar and dessert rice. Let it heat until it’s close to boiling.
- Let it cook on a lower stand for about 30 minutes.
- Take the Pastry cream from Dr.Oetker and add 400 ml milk. Stir until it becomes smooth and set aside.
- When your rice mixture is done, add the pastry cream and 1 egg and mix it all together.
Let’s make our pie:
- Spray your baking pan with the Dr.Oetker baking spray to make sure the crust won’t stick to it.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Roll out the crust and place it in the baking tin.
- Fill it with the rice mixture.
- Bake the pie for about 30 minutes.
My grandpa was so happy with his very own Rice Pie 😀
Have a delicious day ❤
Follow me on: