We had a birthday celebration last Sunday for my aunt, grandpa, nephew and myself. I wanted to make a special cake for my aunt because she loves mice and especially Mickey Mouse…And she loves chocolate (who doesn’t). A few days before, I came across a Mickey Mouse cake. Yes! This is going to be the cake 😀
I decided to go for a yummy Devil’s Food Cake, topped with ganache. It’s such a rich chocolate cake, but not too heavy. I didn’t dare to write immediately on the cake so I wrote on some parshment paper to harden in the freezer until the letters were dry enough to put on the cake.
What do we need:
- 600 g self-raising flour
- 150 g cocoa powder
- 800 g sugar
- 480 g butter
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 160 ml milk
- 2 cups of coffee
- pinch of salt
- 640 ml cream
- 840 g dark chocolate
- 2 26cm pans
- 1 12cm round cookie cutter
- 100 g white chocolate
- piping bag
- parshment paper
- 2 racks
- 2 baking plates
- Dr.Oetker cake cutter
- something to put the cake on (I used a large cardboard covered with parshment paper)
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Mix together butter and sugar.
- Put the milk and the coffee in the saucepan you used to heat the cream and heat it.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Put flour, cocoa powder and salt in one bowl and blend a bit.
- Put half of your dry ingredients in the mixer, together with half of your coffee-milk mixture.
- Mix until it’s combined.
- Put the other half of the dry ingredients and coffee-milk mixture in the mixer.
- Mix until your batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter over the 2 pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Heat the cream.
- Chop the dark chocolate and put in a large bowl.
- Poor the cream over the chocolate and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Stir until your ganache becomes really smooth and glossy.
Let’s build Mickey!
- Put the racks each on a baking plate.
- Cut the cakes in half using the Dr.Oetker cutter (makes your cakes more leveled)
- Cut out 2 rounds in one cake using your 12 cm cookie cutter
- Place the bottom layer of the large round cake on the rack.
- Fill with ganache.
- Put the top layer on the cake and cover with ganache. you can guide the ganache using a spatula. Make sure your sides are covered as well.
- Do the exact same thing with the 2 little rounds.
- Place the large round cake on something big to put the whole thing on.
- Place the 2 ears in position.
- Put the cake in the fridge. You may have to reorganize the fridge 😉
- Take some parshment paper and melt the white chocolate.
- Put in a piping bag and snip the end off (not too much)
- Write Happy birthday and make two little mickeys (optional)
- Put it in the freezer to set.
- Once dried, put the letters on the cake and place the mickeys on the ears.
- Let’s eat!
Have a delicious day ❤
Find me on: