Who doesn’t love Red Velvet Cupcakes? In 2014, I made some Red Velvets but with a mascarpone-cream frosting. Now I made them with their ‘signature’ cream cheese butter frosting. I didn’t really know what to expect since I never manage to make delicious buttercream frostings. They just taste too much like butter…
But these Red Velvets with their original frosting are AMAZING! I don’t think I’ll ever make my ‘old’ frosting again. I had to keep myself from eating the frosting before putting it on my cupcakes 😮 Is that bad?
I know it sounds silly but I’m in love with these ‘original’ Red Velvet Cupcakes 😉
What we need:
- 235 g self-raising flour
- 15 g cocoa powder
- 250 g sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 270 g soft unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon of red food colouring (powder or paste)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Cupcake wrappers
- Cupcake trays
- 150 g soft unsalted butter at room temperature
- 240 g cream cheese
- 840 g icing sugar
- Piping tip
- Piping bag
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and salt in your mixer.
- Add the butter and the eggs.
- Mix until the batter is smooth.
- Combine buttermilk, food colouring and vanilla extract and poor it in the batter.
- Mix until the batter gets a nice red colour.
- Finish the batter by hand because you don’t want to overmix it.
- Place the cupcake wrappers in the cupcake trays.
- Fill the cupcake wrappers for 2/3th and bake them for about 22 minutes.
- Put butter, cream cheese and half of the icing sugar in the mixer.
- Mix on minimum speed until it combines, then mix at medium to high speed.
- Add the other half of the icing sugar.
- Mix until the frosting gets stiff and pale. Don’t make it too stiff though.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting them.
- Put the piping tip in your piping bag and frost! 😀
I’ve also found a new YouTube channel to share with you because I absolutely LOVE Jemma from the London based bakery Crumbs and Doillies. (I HAVE to get to London soon..) She made these Red Velvets and her video is just awesome! I hope you enjoy 😀
Have a delicious day ❤
Find me on: