I bet lots of you are going out tonight in fabulous and terrifying outfits. Others may go door to door with the kids or send the kids to go Trick or Treat-ing. Some of you are going to watch horror movies. If you’re wondering what I’m doing tonight, I think we can rule out the latter. I will be baking tonight, but not for Halloween.
My final Halloween experiment was born last Sunday. Or should I say ‘died’ last Sunday? Don’t know. You tell me 😉
May I present to you: Misses Zombie Unicorn!
She’s not perfect, but what the heck. Zombies aren’t either. I’m actually a bit proud of myself to have pulled it off. Hope the next Unicorn I make will be spot on. For now, my Zombie Unicorn just has spots. Of blood. Mwuhaha!
Miss Zombie Unicorn is made of Vanilla Cake with Lemon Buttercreme Frosting.
What we need:
- 225 g butter
- 225 g sugar
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 500 g icing sugar / powder sugar
- 115 g butter for the icing
- 1 tsp vanilla for the icing
- 1/2 lemon => squeezed + grated
- white & black fondant / sugar paste
- black food colouring
- piping bag + at least 2 different pipin tips
- square baking tin
- 9 cm diameter cookie cutter
- edible glitter
- Gold luster dust
- Red luster dust
- sharp knife
- small paint brush
- Preheat the oven at 180°
- Mix together butter and sugar until all sugar is absorbed
- Add the eggs and mix
- Add the flour, salt and vanilla
- Mix until the mixture is smooth
- Fill the cake pan and bake for about 25 minutes
- Let the cake cool
- Cut out 3 circles with the round cookie cutter. It is okay if the 3rd circle is made with cake scraps. You won’t see it.
- Mix together butter, vanilla, lemon juice, lemon grates and half of the icing sugar
- Add the other half and keep mixing until smooth and soft
- Keep most of the frosting for crumb coating the cake
- Divide the buttercreme frosting in 2 bowl and colour them. I went for dark grey/black and a lighter grey. Dark blue or purple would have been better so if you have that, I suggest you use it 🙂
- Put piping tips of your choice in the piping bags
- Put the frosting in the piping bags
- Set aside
Let’s build a Zombie Unicorn
- Place the 1st layer on a cake stand (makes it easier to frost)
- Put some frosting on the layer and smooth it out
- Alternate until you have 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of frosting
- For the top and sides, take just enough buttercreme. It’s just to set the crumbs and to make sure the sugar past ehas something to stick to
- Roll out white sugar paste, large enough to cover the whole cake
- Cover the cake in white sugar paste. Gently rub the sides so the fondant sticks to the buttercreme. Cut off any excess at the bottom
- Roll some black fondant. Take a sharp knife to draw small lines for the scars and eyelashes. I’ve uses straight lines for the eyelashes and bended them whilst placing them on the cake
- Place the eyelashes and scars
- Cut a small piece of fondant open above the Unicorn’s eye, Make the fondant stand open and colour the inside red. If you’re red food colouring is liquid enough, you can draw some blood coming out. I’ve used powder + tiny bit of water for that.
- Take white fondant and shape 2 triangles for the ears. Use your fingers to shape the inside of the ear. Bite off 1 piece of 1 ear to make it look as if she’s been attacked.
- Roll a large sausage of white fondant for the cone. Make the ends smaller than the middle. Put both edges together and gently twist to make that typical Unicorn look.
- Put a toothpick in the cone and set aside
- Put 2 toothpicks in each ear and stick them on the cake
- Once the cone has dried, colour it golden and place on the cake
- Pipe the manes on top of the cake and sides. Make sure you cover the edges of the ears and cone
- Srinkle some glitter on the manes
- Add bloody details on the ear, cone and face. I’ve splattered some blood using my paint brush on her face.
- Scare friends 😉
What do you guys think?
Have a delicious day ❤
Find me on: