Today is The Boyfriends birthday! I thought this would make the perfect occasion to share this perfect Summer Birthday Cake with you guys. In fact this one is a true classic when it comes to Birthday Cakes. At least where I live 🙂 A very light and spongy cake, lots of whipped cream (there’s also a buttercream version) and fruits. Perfect!
As a kid I always wanted a specific part of the cake because I didn’t like all the fruits that were on it. Our bakers have this habit of putting all sorts of fruit on top of these Birthday Cakes. From grapes to pineapple to strawberries and kiwi. I wasn’t really fond of those pineapples…
But a homemade version is awesome because you get to choose the fruits that are on! Homemade has so many advantages 😉
What we need:
- 240 g sugar
- 8 eggs
- 240 g self-raising flour
- +- 1 L whipping cream
- +- 200 g icing/powder sugar
- 2 bags of Klop-Fix from Dr. Oetker
- 1 bag of Taartina from Dr.Oetker
- square baking tin
- parshment paper
- 200 ml water
- +- 50 g dark chocolate
- piping bag
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Melt the chocolate by using 30 seconds sessions.
- Put the chocolate in a piping bag and snip the tip off.
- Take a piece of parshment paper and cut it a bit smaller than your cake tin.
- Pipe “Happy birthday” in chocolate on the parshment paper.
- Put it in the freezer on a flat underground. Use a board if you don’t have a flat space in the freezer.
- Mix together the eggs and the sugar. They need to be whipped. Yes, this may take some time. When you think you’re done, mix some more 😉 You’ll see the colour changing to a lighter one and the mixture will come up in your mixing bowl.
- Sift the flour and add in small amounts. Gently fold it in the mixture. DON’T mix it! It’s very crucial to the cake.
- Place some parshment paper in the baking tin.
- Fill the baking tin and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let the cake cool down.
- Slice the cake into 2 equal pieces. You’re going to use the bottom as your top to have a perfect straight top of your cake.
- Take some jam (I’ve used a 4 fruits jam) and spread a little layer on the piece that will serve as the bottom.
- Whip up the cream and add the icing sugar to sweeten it.
- Add the Klop-Fix to make your whipped cream even stronger, which can come in handy with this kind of cake 🙂 Especially if you’re not serving it right away.
- Add a little layer of whipped cream on top of the jam.
- Cut some fruit and place it on the cream.
- Add another layer of cream on top of the fruit.
- Put the top layer on the filling.
- Completely cover the cake in whipped cream.
- You can pipe some decorations on the sides if you’d like but you don’t have to.
- Cut the fruits you want on your cake and place them the way you want it.
- Take a cup and put the Taartina in it, together with 3 tablespoons of water. Mix it together with a spoon.
- Heat the 200 ml water. When it boils, add the Taartina mixture and keep stirring until it becomes a somewhat clear mixture without any chunks.
- Take a brush and glace the fruit with this Taartina mixture. Not only will it give the fruit a shiny finish, it will prevent them from turning brown. Yay!
- Take your chocolate writing out of the freezer and place on top of your cake.
- Tadaa! You have the perfect Summer Birthday Cake!
Now all you need are some candles, blow and make that wish!
Have a delicious day ❤
Find me on: