“Uhm, Sarah…? It’s not yet Friday you know.”
“Oh I know!”
“Then why is there a new blogpost today?”
“Because it’s our National Holiday today!”
I simply cannot post my recipe for our National Holiday the day after, right? 😀
Last year, I made a Flag Cake. This year, I’ve kept it simple and it’s a real classic! The
Muscles Waffle from Brussels! But with a little twist 😉
You can go big and crazy on you National Holiday or you can honor the classics your country has to offer. Which is what I chose to do this year. Now what could be a better choice than our world famous Waffles from Brussels? None, let me tell you that.
Yes, I could have made insanely good French (WTF?!) Fries but that’s not exactly a dessert. Beer isn’t either. 😉
What we need for 6 servings:
- 1/2 bag of yeast (I used the one from Dr. Oetker)
- 2 dl water (room temperature)
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 bag vanilla sugar (I used the one from Dr. Oetker)
- 250 g flour
- 2 dl room temperature milk
- 100 g melted butter
- whipped cream
- waffle iron
- Dissolve the yeast in the water.
- Whip up the egg whites and set aside in a bowl.
- Mix together flour and milk.
- Add the melted butter and mix until smooth. (It’s okay if it doesn’t really becomes that smooth yet)
- Add the egg yolks. Mix until the batter really becomes smooth.
- Add the yeast-water mixture and mix again until smooth.
- Gently stir in the egg whites using a spatula.
- Cover the batter and leave it somewhere warm (shouldn’t be a problem today) for 30 minutes.
- Turn on the waffle iron and bake those waffles!
- Whip up the cream and cut some strawberries.
- Place 1 waffle on a plate.
- Add some whipped cream and strawberry pieces.
- Place another waffle on top and do the same.
- Repeat this until all waffles have been used and you have 6 nice 2-tiers waffles.
Happy National Holiday Belgium!
Have a delicious day ❤
Find me on: